In addition to my formal schooling that prepared me for this profession, life has been my classroom. Optimal health and wellness of body and mind have been key interests of mine since I was a teen growing up in the 70’s. I’ve practiced yoga and meditation on and off since a teen, and have studied nutrition, herbal medicine, alternative healing and different healing arts over the years.
My own health issues became one of my biggest teachers when in the late 1990’s I fell from previous excellent health into a debilitating mystery illness that mainstream and alternative doctors and healers could only offer me temporary or marginal assistance. I finally got a diagnosis that explained my illness and offered a clearer healing path in 2005. Suffice to say, climbing out of that dark hole of illness back into a highly productive and functional life was a tremendous education–both personally and professionally.
- Undergraduate degree from Duke University with a B.S. in psychology, 1978;
- Physician Assistant (PA) training at Duke University Medical Center with a B.H.S in 1985;
- Masters of Health Sciences (MHS) from Duke University Medical Center in 1991.
- 1985-1993: Clinical Faculty at Department of Family Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, including staffing the Student Infirmary, the Travel Clinic, and the Sports Medicine Clinic.
- 1993-1996: Clinical staff at the CIWEC Clinic, Kathmandu, Nepal, taking care of everything from well baby checks to Dengue Fever and High Altitude Illness.
- 1998-2011: Mentored and clinical staff with Dr. James Biddle at Asheville Integrative Medicine in Asheville, NC.
- Since 2009: Mentored and part-time clinical staff with infectious disease/ lyme expert Dr. Joseph Jemsek at his Jemsek Specialty Clinic, first in South Carolina, and now in D.C.
And as important as the above, I am indebted to two decades + of wonderful, smart, determined, intuitive patients teaching me the science and art of medicine, and living.
To all my patients, teachers, mentors and healers, thank you. I am forever indebted.